Bally Wild Arrows identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Bally Wild Arrows identified

Post by coppinpr »

A guy in the USA has this machine and has asked me if I can find out something about it (date, maker and the like). All he knows (or has been able to find out in 5 years) is that it was UK made. I know it's a late machine for our remit but someone might know?
Attachments
wild-arrowsa.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone ID this machine please?

Post by pennymachines »

I believe at heart it's a Bally, as described in this eBay advert, but maybe a British modification? :!?!:

WildArrows-side.jpg

The handle looks characteristically Bally.

Wild Arrows is similar to these other Bally consoles of 1968: Las Vegas and Lucky Draw.
Attachments
Las Vegas
Las Vegas
Lucky Draw
Lucky Draw
coppinpr

Re: Bally Wild Arrows identified

Post by coppinpr »

thanks, Mr P. much obliged,I've asked Nursey to give you an extra Saw Palmetto capsule for new years day, As Terry Pratchett said when asked how old he was "Im of an age when a man knows he's got a prostate" :lol:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bally Wild Arrows identified

Post by pennymachines »

I believe I discovered my prostate long before I discovered Terry Pratchett, and possibly before he discovered his...

Check out Richard Bueschell's Lemons, Cherries & Bell-Fruit-Gum - it's an essential reference to anyone with more than a passing interest in one armed bandits. Ask your local library to purchase a copy. Bueschell has a long paragraph on these, "uniquely British consoles". In short, they were not made in England, but by Bally in Chicago for the British market.
Bueschell wrote:The initial [sales] activity was British, with a wave of models designed by Jerry Kelly and named by their British distributors moving across the Atlantic by ship and air... Uniquely British at first, and reaching into European and other international markets (but never the United States!), the newly formatted Bally slot console combined the electromechanical MONEY HONEY format with an upright cabinet and backglass display. The first was the British named Model 837 WINDSOR CASTLE of summer 1968, soon followed by CAMELOT, REEL DEAL, LUCKY DRAW, TREASURE CHEST, DUCK SHOOT and other models well into the 70s.
Attachments
3English-Ballys.jpg