Fairground Heritage Trust Arcade

General vintage slot machine related topics.
jimmycowman

Re: Dingles Heritage Centre

Post by jimmycowman »

Sounds like a must go place next time I'm in the area next year. Good it's reopening 👍
ab88

Fairground Heritage Trust Arcade

Post by ab88 »

Topic merged - Site Admin

Hi All

This may be more appropriate in the wanted section but it's not quite a wanted advert.

I together with a few others down at Dingles in Devon are trying to sort our arcade offer out. Intention is the stunning ex-Percival Arcade will house the 'vintage fleet' on 1D and 10p whilst we wish to institute a secondary 2p arcade in the Rides Hall more pusher orientated as a more commercial activity (thus protecting the older machine from crowds of unruly children and us from regular repair bills).

I'd noticed recently on Steve Hunt's evening chats a lot of talk has turned to larger 60s/70s machines that haven't survived or are very thin on the ground. The thought has occurred that if some of these do exist, Dingles might be a decent home for them, where they can be used in the 2p area (which is fairly sizeable). So has anyone got anything they might lend / donate / or sell? We do not have a massive budget and are planning to open for the first time in 2 years shortly but we do have some funds for the right stuff.

We are also looking to buy more recent pushers, Derby Racers and roulettes in the Devonshire area (or receive donations of the same) if anyone knows of anything? Over time if we could source more of the larger older machines we'd phase out the more modern stuff - but even some of that is getting old!

Projects at this point in time cannot be considered (space, budget, and time scales) but in the future we're open to projects if the machine is rare enough and circumstances allow us to take it on.

Over to you chaps, always interested to hear thoughts.
moonriver

Re: Fairground Heritage Trust Arcade

Post by moonriver »

You could always do what Milestones have done, gone on eBay and bought up a right shed load of old tat and faulty '80s machines that will never take money or work properly..........
brigham

Post by brigham »

...or you could buy the Whitaker's Roulette from Swallow Amusements, which is only unsold because I absolutely can't find anywhere to put it.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

brigham wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:46 am ...or you could buy the Whitaker's Roulette from Swallow Amusements, which is only unsold because I absolutely can't find anywhere to put it.
Nil desperandum...............time for another extension (with wider doors!)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Last time I rubbed shoulders with Pete Williamson in a cafe in Leamington (notorious hangout of vintage slot addicts) he was extolling the virtues of the retro electro-mechanicals. As earners they were apparently outcompeting the all-mechanicals. Not surprising perhaps, but I suppose you have to weigh the considerably greater cons of keeping those complicated ageing beasties functional and safe.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

pennymachines wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:17 pm Pete Williamson was extolling the virtues of the retro electro-mechanicals. As earners they were apparently outcompeting the all-mechanicals.
I agree entirely, mixing retro electro-mechanicals with vintage and even some relatively modern prize egg vending skill games increases the take by 40%. Some of the more simple Brenco games are well suited, such as Triple Tap, and Heads and Tails, (which both have to be converted to old penny) do well, and the original Cromptons games such as the shooters, and Double Falls. The prize egg venders most suited are those such as Buzzy Bee, Bee Lucky, and Old Mc Donalds, three different ways of catching balls, suited for all ages, and I've made them so either the prize egg rolls down the glass towards them on one game, or flies out of the chute onto the floor. They find that even more entertaining than playing the game sometimes! The all important thing is finding the right mix, much like interior decor, there are no rules of what you can mix and match.
All you have to do is find ONE game they like and commit to play on (instead of walking around looking and back out again), and it all flows on from there.
ab88

Post by ab88 »

That is all quite useful and interesting information.

I could do with finding a Wheel Em In for 2ps, and ideally something like a Flippa Winner for a bit of variety.

Anyone know of something in the right part of the world? I can find loads of things in the East of England near me but none near Devon!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

If it were me I wouldn't operate on 2p. The general public will happily pay 5 times that at a minimum of 10p for one old penny, and usually double that if enticed with bonus pennies for changing £1 or better £2 coins, as they drift away into a dream of nostalgia.
The good old penny is a nice large size coin to play with in pushers and as in effect they're tokens and cannot be changed back.
Most electromechanical machines can be converted to old penny with a bit of know how. If it can't, or too labour intensive to do so, get something else that can.
ab88

Post by ab88 »

Well we have a captive audience and part of the purpose of the arcade areas is to keep those not on the rides entertained (whilst those that like the rides buy more tokens and carry on whizzing round).

So a 2p area of more modern pushers and novelties, a 10p area mixed with bandits, and a few modern bits plus old cranes with sweets is the plan for this year.

Next year we intend to have a bigger sort out and go to 1D on the older more valuable machines, put them in the vintage arcade with the older 10ps as a premium area where they cannot take a hammering on 2p. And as you say sell the 1D 10 for £1.

We'll retain the more modern area on 2p / 10p as well for the masses as its in the Rides Hall with the Vintage Arcade just through the doorway between the Rides Hall and the Cafe / Shop / Exit.

We don't have a huge selection of the proper old stuff but we've got enough to get started with. Then re-invest the takings for a few years to build the collection of machines and increase revenue.

I want to avoid the old machines, which have historic value getting the stuffing knocked out of them for little return. Pushers will keep granny busy whilst the family are on the rides.

At least that is the plan. It may take longer to get there than I envisage but I think we need a mix. I quite like Peter Williamson's set up at the model village. Old Stuff in one room, the other with more modern machines. That is the sort of idea I'm driving at.

I just need more machines and have a limited budget.
jingle

Post by jingle »

If you were looking for people to donate machines which are valuable now days and people have paid mountains of money for
I was just wondering if and when the museum stops trading
Or folds through what ever
And you sell all the rides machines ect off are you going to give the money to the donor
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes always wondered what happened to items for example going to museums. I guess donated means given and loaned does not and either way would be clarified in writing.

Have you reached out to other arcade operators who may have duplicates or stuff to shift......

Sad part is I reckon 75% of great arcade machines are locked away in storage waiting to be played, I am no exception although I don't have great arcade games...... :#:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

ab88 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:00 am
I just need more machines and have a limited budget.
wouldn't that apply to 90% of collectors on here?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

jingle wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:11 am If you were looking for people to donate machines which are valuable now days and people have paid mountains of money for
I was just wondering if and when the museum stops trading
Or folds through what ever
And you sell all the rides machines ect off are you going to give the money to the donor
!!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

My experience of working for charities/non for profit organisations .....

Anything donated/gifted can be disposed of legally by gifting on to another charity/non for profit organisation, otherwise all sorts of interesting tax implications bubble to the surface.
Most museums call themselves such in order to avoid corporation taxes.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

The "JP Museum" in Bristol, Tennessee is now open for donations. Please send pictures of your intended lovey. Tax deduction available at your own risk.

J P
Museum owner and all purpose scammer, USA
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

john t peterson wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:06 pm The "JP Museum" in Bristol, Tennessee is now open for donations.
otherwise known as Bristols.................Dolly's Tennessee Mountain Home !!USA!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I wonder if John Son of Peter is up to date on his rhyming slang?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Recently informed of the slang definition of "Bristol," I could not be more proud.

J Peterson
Bristols forever, USA. !!ESCAPE!!
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Hi John ...
Didn't realize you were a Bristol TN lad ....
Last week i was working in Kingsport and Johnson city ... sadly now back in the UK
its a small world out there :)

Dicky