Italian Ascot bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
fredslilja

Italian Ascot bandits

Post by fredslilja »

Hi
I wonder if someone have any information about this slot. It has been around in my home since i was a kid. I don´t know much about it. Someone have told me it is manufactured in Italy :?:
I think it is early 70s or late 60s.

I find any information about it interesting.

Maybe even someone has a flyer of this machine?
Attachments
Ascot 002.jpg
slotalot

Re: Ascot slot

Post by slotalot »

Hi, :D I found these on the internet, hope they help. :tarah:
Attachments
Jackbar.jpg
1964%20De%20Luxe.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've had a couple of these in my time, not the most attractive of machines but a good robust mechanism.
I was told that they were the Italian Sega ......... no idea if it's true ........ I've been told a lot of things in my life...
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well, we know they were made in the 60s. The second flyer, which is in English for some reason, says "Distributed by Jensi". That suggests Astor Deluxe of 3 Via Girolamo Fracastoro, Florence, Italy (the garanty of quality) either built or revamped your bandit.
Does the mechanism have any markings that might offer more clues?

The pictures are from Swedish site http://www.stubbens.se/. I've added it to the Links page in the Archive because it has a great collection of rare pinball and arcade flyers.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

These, I think, are made in Italy. I had one and the mech was the same as a Sega but marked "Made in Italy".
Astor, by-the-way, made a Hi Top lookalike with a Pace mech, also marked "Made in Italy".
fredslilja

Post by fredslilja »

Thanks for the response so far

I have checked after marks but the only clue I found was the text on the transformer. I think it is Italian, isn't it?
I send some photos that might be of some help to identify it :-?
Attachments
Ascot 006.jpg
Ascot 004.jpg
Ascot 003.jpg
Ascot 002.jpg
Ascot 001.jpg
fredslilja

Post by fredslilja »

Here is one picture of the cabinet
Attachments
Ascot 009.jpg
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

This has a Pace lookalike jackpot, so it's a Mills/Sega type mech with a Pace type jackpot made in Italy - very interesting :-o . Does anybody know if they were made under licence or did they just copy bits of machines they thought would work?
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

What a dreadful looking machine, I'll give you a £100 for it ;) Well, it has an extremely clean looking mechanism. I like the green frame :cool: . What coinage are you running it on? What's the purpose of the transformers? Lighting? Has one had a bit of a burnout, it looks blackened in the photo, more a better reason to accept my offer :D Thanks for the photo, very interesting machine.
fredslilja

Post by fredslilja »

Well Malcy, I don´t want you to lay sleepless tonight wondering how much I want for it ;) It is not for sale. This machine I grow up with. In my early days I couldn't reach up to put in the coins so I had to have help with that. Next I jumped up and grabbed the handle and luckily I was heavy enough to pull it down :)

The coins it runs with is 1 Swedish Crown. The transformer is for the light only and no burnout - it works perfectly :D
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

A Swedish crown too - according to Wikipedia this is about 1/2 mill bigger than the UK new ten pence piece so likely to work a treat over here in the UK. I like your machine a lot, it's quirky and although I'm fairly new to this game I can see various elements of it from so many other makes. How easy are these to come by in Sweden?? Do you fancy becoming an exporter to the UK because I would certainly buy one due to it being so unusual. Nice machine, I hope it gives you many more years of fun.
fredslilja

Post by fredslilja »

I think it is rather hard to find but I found two of those that are for sale here in Sweden.
Try these pages:
http://www.prylbanken.se/annons/hobby_o ... es/404292/
http://kopochsalj.eniro.se/query?what=g ... rid=dn_kos
Attachments
Ascot.jpg
malcymal

Italian Ascot bandit

Post by malcymal »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ascot ... 338e6b7684

A nice little project for somebody. I've often fancied one of these machines, particular the jackpot model. For anybody near Weston Super Mare it could be picked up for a steal. If it was near the south coast I would have had a punt myself. Malc
Attachments
ascot.JPG
treefrog

Re: A nice little project - Italian Ascot on ebay

Post by treefrog »

The seller got it for a steal anyway......This and another bandit a Buckingham as well as two arcade machines, an old Chicago Coin shooter and a Globetrotter Pinball was on a buy-it-now in ebay about 3 weeks ago for £199 or offers......I pondered, but have no space for more junk and the buyer made an offer and got the lot, probably for £150 or so.......a big bargain me thinks if you have the space. The Buckingham mech is also on ebay......When he first listed the bandits, I think they were in the mid-hundreds.

arcade shooting game,pinball, bandits
Attachments
lot.JPG
lot.JPG (51.13 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Yes, originally a big lot and I emailed a friend as they had been looking for a cheap e/m shooting game project. Anyway, he decided against it so never went forward with an offer to the seller. However, I'm pretty sure that the two bandits were sold first by the seller as he then relisted using the same picture, but not including the two bandits, to sell the larger items on the second listing, this time asking £50 less than the original ad. So I would guess the buyer of the bandits got them for £50 or less (for the pair).

GP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The bandit is right up my street and I've had esnipe waiting to make a bid for me since day one.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

This was how they ended first time around....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Arcad ... 338dacb3e4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Arcad ... 338dacb662

I had an Ascot given to me once - I thought the mechanism was Aristocrat but soon realised it wasn't.
I sold it very quickly for around £300 a few years back but would never buy one for myself as I thought the mechanism was very poor in terms of build quality.

GP
coppinpr

Just how I like em

Post by coppinpr »

My latest project arrived today and it's just how I like 'em. Cheap and on the verge of scrap. I do like it when you can safely say "restore it" and not "should I leave it alone". I've never had one of these Italian made machines before and I'm looking forward to working on it. Looks pretty bad but I don't think it will be a problem with the possible exception of the payout card which needs rebuilding from scratch. The mech was a pleasant surprise being in perfect condition, clean and crisp running with all the payouts working correct.
It has the suppliers name printed inside so I've included a photo in case anyone has heard of them before. It reads "Holair Entertainments, Grange Locks, Sands Lea, Worton, nr. Cranforth, Lancs."
I'm guessing early '70s? Is that right? I'll restore in original colours and all the bits are there, cash box, hood, rear door. Only the lock is gone. Watch this space......
italian start.jpg

it inside.jpg

name2.jpg

it name1.jpg

jonesthegarage

Re: Just how I like em

Post by jonesthegarage »

I'm not crazy about its rather angular form but I'm sure you'll make a grand job of it.

While Holair Entertainments might not be an everlasting memory Carnforth is famous for being the railway station on which Brief Encounter was filmed - don't make a special trip though!
coppinpr

unusual cheat "bug"

Post by coppinpr »

I've found a few "bugs" on machines over the years but not one as well made as this one I've found on the Italian made "Ascot" machine I'm working on. It looks good enough to have been factory made and has the letters "H" "E" and "C" on the retaining washer which could point to "Holair Entertainments of Cranforth" who are marked on the machine as either the supplier or operator.
It's been made so it can be easily adjusted to take out any one stop on the first reel. Anyone seen one like it before? A great little piece of history for this machine and quite a little work of engineering.
bug.jpg