Sega Mad Money Restoration

General vintage slot machine related topics.
sutty

Re: Sega Mad Money Restoration

Post by sutty »

As far as I know it's real, but how would one know? Many of the parts have SG stamped in them, particularly the heavy duty parts, or so I have noted.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Key is the cabinet and non Segas are marginally different in proportions. So I have doors for both types and one does not always fit the other. Is 'Sega' embossed on the front belly casting? Also it should have stickers inside or a Sega badge on rear base.
sutty

Post by sutty »

Here are some photos, if it helps you help me.

The escalator lower coin eject guide plate was added by me, because it was missing. Not sure what it should have looked like, but this works.
Attachments
Fronta.jpg
Handle-sidea.jpg
Base-and-other-sidea.jpg
Lower-fronta.jpg
Top-backa.jpg
Typical-SG-part-numbera.jpg
escalatora.jpg
Funny-hingea.jpg
sutty

Post by sutty »

Oh, the base is almost certainly oak, as are other chunky pieces of wood, and the sides are from plywood, skimmed with Formica.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yup it’s Sega and we see why the check mechanism is disabled as you have a Shefras escalator, so it does not use it. The strap just locks the mechanism in… Looks like it might be original paint or at least they used that colour and it seems to have all fallen apart. :HaHa:
sutty

Post by sutty »

Well I've repainted it, but I did it the same as it was, because I thought I should. I wasn't sure if it was original paint when I got it, all those years ago, but still, I just did it the same, because I lack imagination, lol.

Yes, it's in a good few pieces now, but I know I can get it back together. :!?!: :HaHa:
sutty

Post by sutty »

Literally just now, replicated the award back glass. It has taken me months to be able to get it right. I think it's good enough now. I tried waterslide so many times, I lost track. This was first try with clear vinyl, with wet positioning approach. Certainly tons better than my original.
Attachments
Award-back-glass-attempta.jpg
highfield

Post by highfield »

Great job **xXx**
sutty

Post by sutty »

Cheers. I can't tell you what a relief it is after so many tries.

I'm working on a small piece of metal now, that was reversed in the machine, so the front doesn't show, because the stars seem to play no part. It just showed the ugly back through the glass.

Jackpot-Legenda.jpg

My plan is to replace the stars with 'Mystery Payouts?', as follows:

Jackpot-typesa.jpg

I can't think what else to do. Not sure why it would have stars on it, when they are not on my reels. I'm sure you guys will know, but it's a 'Mystery' to me, lol.

Again, sorry about the orientation. It defeats me.

What do you guys think, is that a reasonable plan? Can't think what else to do.
brigham

Post by brigham »

All sorts of things can be found in the Jackpot window of these machines, especially after the jackpot has been disabled.
That one is possibly from a Diamond 3 Star. At least it's a SEGA part.
I had one which showed a Scotsman drinking Camp Coffee.
sutty

Post by sutty »

lol, sounds fun. What did you decide to do with what it showed, if it didn't actually reflect what could be won on the reels?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I believe the Mad Money is called the Mad Money Star and should have stars on strips as well as the Mad Money faces….. maybe you have wrong strips or mechanism got changed in the past
sutty

Post by sutty »

Could well be. As you know now, I wouldn't know. Anything could have happened to it during its service life, however long that was? I do know there are mystery jackpots, but there is meant to be mystery jackpots, so it might be hard to track down the star jackpots, from the Mystery ones. I think I'll just go ahead with making a card on glossy photo paper, which shows what I suggested, which is, 'Mystery Payouts?' in place of the stars. At least that way I can keep the original plate, underneath/behind my print, and will also to serve to pin my card in place. Kind of seems in keeping with the possible jackpot types, available from my reels.

By the way, admins, sorry, I put this thread in tips and tricks and I didn't mean to. Please move the thread to a more appropriate place.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

The Mad Money reel strips should have stars over certain numbers. This page from a Sega parts manual shows which ones.
Attachments
Scana.jpg
sutty

Post by sutty »

That's excellent to have that old data available, thanks for posting. I don't follow it exactly, but I can certainly see it says there should be stars over some of the symbols. I wonder why the reel strips were changed on mine?
sutty

Post by sutty »

You can see in one of my pictures above, that I have a reel strip that says, 20235, and that corresponds to what your sheet says for Mad Money 84%. Very cool.
sutty

Post by sutty »

Here are all three of my reel strip codes. I think the stars might be lurking under single inserted symbols, for some reason.
Attachments
Reel-strip-codesa.jpg
sutty

Post by sutty »

Another successful attempt at working with vinyl, I think. Again, many attempts prior with waterslide decals, to no avail. First time with this one using vinyl.

Happy as a clam, despite the weather. :cool:
Attachments
Jackpota.jpg
sutty

Post by sutty »

Can anyone help me with wiring? Below is what I have:

Wiringa.jpg

Is it likely that any of this will work, after 50 years of sitting on the garage floor? None of it has ever been wired up, whilst in my possession, so I have no idea how it was wired before. I just took it out, as is. I'd quite like to make use of this old equipment, and if it does work, if I could check it, I will tart it up, rewire it as necessary, and make use of it.

Sadly, I have no wiring diagram, so have no idea how it should even be powered up. Is there anything anyone can make of what you see there, in my photograph?

Thanks in advance.

Sutty
sutty

Post by sutty »

Mhhh, it looks like maybe this is all I need:

schematic.png
schematic.png (10.53 KiB) Viewed 529 times

If I separate and trace all of the wiring, and it looks like the above, it should be a simple matter to test each circuit one at a time. Without separating them, it certainly looks like the above. With them all bundled up, it's a little hard to trace, and the colour changes of the wiring, halfway along, doesn't help, where repair technicians have spliced in extra lengths of wire, with a change of colour, lol.

Regardless, my first take on it is that it is exactly as above, which is just any old generic tube schematic that I found on the web. Let's see what tonight brings.