Sega Mad Money Restoration

General vintage slot machine related topics.
sutty

Sega Mad Money Restoration

Post by sutty »

Hi All

I'm fairly happy with the appearance of my reels, but for two issues. First, I wondered what the best idea is for sticking down the ends of the reel strips, where they overlap. There are the main ends, and also some symbol inserts, where they have snipped out just a bell, for example, and clipped it in over the top of an incorrect symbol. Not sure why that would have had to have been done that, but it has. Each of the edges/ends, are a little fluffy, and stick up. I was toying with that invisible mending tape that you can get, to stick them down, but I'm open to better ideas. I've coloured the edges black, with felt tip, so they are no longer white, but they need sticking down, somehow.

Second, and my main issue, I have an orange that has a lemon showing through from underneath. I've tested it to check it is, or should be, an orange, but I don't know the best way to create, print, and place an orange over the top. I'm thinking I could print to glossy paper, and just slide it into place, if I can get a good photograph to work on in a graphics package, but I'm open to any and all ideas, other than having the entire strips redone, because I think they are otherwise okay.
Attachments
20220213_161622a.jpg
Last edited by sutty on Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treefrog

Re: Making a new orange

Post by treefrog »

To me your strips look in good nick. I would try lifting the edging on both sides of the tin and pushing down the end of the strip tight and recrimping with long nose pliers. I personally have never used glue or tape.

I will check and may have loads of spare strips of the same, if so, I can send you an orange if it helps. Looks like it was a transfer over the lemon. Changes were often made due to changes in award/payout or even use of wrong strips. Usually operators changed two or three fruits on a strip rather than one, to make sure it stayed better on the tin, when crimped down.
sutty

Post by sutty »

Hey Treefrog

Thanks for the offer, but I was just about to post, I'm happy with my result. I have photographed one of the other oranges, scaled it and touched it up in GIMP, and printed on my Epsom inkjet, on high quality photo paper, and I think it looks good.

I was really only playing, trialling it, but it came out good enough to use, first try, I think.

WhatsApp-Image-2022-02-13-at-20.44a.jpg

Pretty happy with that, what do you think? Maybe it's a tad left, but I can fix that. Like I say, it was just a stab at it. I'll show you one of the ends in a second.
sutty

Post by sutty »

Here are a couple of shots.

One-enda.jpg

Another-enda.jpg

They actually look a lot better with the blackened ends, than they did when they were white. One needs a bit more work with the felt tip, to get rid of the white, but I'd still like them pinned down some more.

EDIT: By the way, it did look like some sort of transfer. Very thin. Like they had stick on ones available?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Glad you got it sorted. If the paper end is frayed, just use some paper glue to stop the fraying…..
sutty

Post by sutty »

Thanks, I'll do that. I'll have to get some first.
sutty

Re: Sega Mad Money Restoration

Post by sutty »

I just edited the title of this thread, so that I could hopefully post periodic questions concerning my restoration efforts. To that end, I just came across a curiosity with my mechanism and I wondered if someone could clarify what it does, but before I finished the post, I worked it out.

At the back left, halfway up, just behind the brake spring attachment bracket is a hook. This is permanently held in the up position, by what I assume is an overlong screw, fitted by some repair technician, sometime in the dim and distant past. See below:

Screw-holding-upa.jpg

If I back the screw out, the hook drops down. See below:

Screw-backed-outa.jpg

If I toggle the small lever, I can again flip the hook up again. See below:

Hook-held-up,-no-screwa.jpg

This toggle lever, looks as though it should have a spring, to make it hold in either one of two positions, up or down, like a switch. I could easily find, or make, a spring to suit, so it will be as the original. I now know that it holds back the pay out fingers, and the anti freewheel mechanism, if you first push them back, but I'd like to know why it was locked out with a screw. The spring switch is elegant, the screw not so much, but I can only think that the spring switch is a tad unreliable, so they modified it with the long screw for a failure proof approach. I could see the spring jumping, with one solid whack, or if nudged when putting the back back on, for example.

Glad to have found it actually. I was needing three hands to get my reels out and back in again, lol.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

These anti check devices are often removed on U.K. machines, as well as the top check detector on the escalator. Sometimes they are wired up to stop locking the payout.
sutty

Post by sutty »

Thanks treefrog, but perhaps you could help with a little more description. I'm not sure what an anti check device is. Is that referring to what I described before, a latch to hold back the payout fingers? Also, what would be the 'top check detector on the escalator'. This is the only machine I've ever had, and I've had it probably around 50 years, before bothering to even try to get it into any semblance of order. Links to pictures of those done by others, would be a great help, I'm sure.

Whilst I'm at it, my machine has no back. I'm happy to make one, if it isn't too complex, if others have done that? It doesn't look like it would need anything too complicated, but clearly I wouldn't know. The only thing I have, that I would think relates to any previous back, is a strange type of hinge, that has no real home at the moment. I think it was screwed to some wood in the base, but until I try to do a full reassembly, I can't be sure right now.

If it's just a rectangle of wood, with that hinge screwed to it, and a lock hole drilling in it, I have some nice thick plywood that I could use?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

If you have an original escalator, there are two horizontal bars that check for coins. The bottom lever checks a coin is there and will not operate until detected. The top lever checks for checks, or coins or items with holes in. If there, it allows the virtual check lever to allow the check assembly to operate and drop the locking lever to stop a payout.

Back doors are solid steel items like on most Mills and Segas and other machines to stop thieving buggers... They do come to market, but if your machine is not a real Sega they differ slightly to Sega ones... You could make a wooden door if you're happy with that… An original door would probably be around £60. The metal strap at the bottom with the hinge locks in the mechanism.
sutty

Post by sutty »

As far as I know it's real, but how would one know? Many of the parts have SG stamped in them, particularly the heavy duty parts, or so I have noted.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Key is the cabinet and non Segas are marginally different in proportions. So I have doors for both types and one does not always fit the other. Is 'Sega' embossed on the front belly casting? Also it should have stickers inside or a Sega badge on rear base.
sutty

Post by sutty »

Here are some photos, if it helps you help me.

The escalator lower coin eject guide plate was added by me, because it was missing. Not sure what it should have looked like, but this works.
Attachments
Fronta.jpg
Handle-sidea.jpg
Base-and-other-sidea.jpg
Lower-fronta.jpg
Top-backa.jpg
Typical-SG-part-numbera.jpg
escalatora.jpg
Funny-hingea.jpg
sutty

Post by sutty »

Oh, the base is almost certainly oak, as are other chunky pieces of wood, and the sides are from plywood, skimmed with Formica.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yup it’s Sega and we see why the check mechanism is disabled as you have a Shefras escalator, so it does not use it. The strap just locks the mechanism in… Looks like it might be original paint or at least they used that colour and it seems to have all fallen apart. :HaHa:
sutty

Post by sutty »

Well I've repainted it, but I did it the same as it was, because I thought I should. I wasn't sure if it was original paint when I got it, all those years ago, but still, I just did it the same, because I lack imagination, lol.

Yes, it's in a good few pieces now, but I know I can get it back together. :!?!: :HaHa:
sutty

Post by sutty »

Literally just now, replicated the award back glass. It has taken me months to be able to get it right. I think it's good enough now. I tried waterslide so many times, I lost track. This was first try with clear vinyl, with wet positioning approach. Certainly tons better than my original.
Attachments
Award-back-glass-attempta.jpg
highfield

Post by highfield »

Great job **xXx**
sutty

Post by sutty »

Cheers. I can't tell you what a relief it is after so many tries.

I'm working on a small piece of metal now, that was reversed in the machine, so the front doesn't show, because the stars seem to play no part. It just showed the ugly back through the glass.

Jackpot-Legenda.jpg

My plan is to replace the stars with 'Mystery Payouts?', as follows:

Jackpot-typesa.jpg

I can't think what else to do. Not sure why it would have stars on it, when they are not on my reels. I'm sure you guys will know, but it's a 'Mystery' to me, lol.

Again, sorry about the orientation. It defeats me.

What do you guys think, is that a reasonable plan? Can't think what else to do.
brigham

Post by brigham »

All sorts of things can be found in the Jackpot window of these machines, especially after the jackpot has been disabled.
That one is possibly from a Diamond 3 Star. At least it's a SEGA part.
I had one which showed a Scotsman drinking Camp Coffee.