Circus model supplied by Shefras

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
moonriver

Re: ID wanted for unusual machine supplied by Shefras

Post by moonriver »

This is the adjustable pneumatic switch mounted just behind the (missing) Essex coin slide which when depressed by the coin slide started the motor. This switch determined the run time of the model. Quite an early and crude way of providing a timer, not so reliable but good enough for something that doesn't need to run through a set sequence of operation. Succeeded by timer cams and relays in later models.
Attachments
IMG_5107.JPG
IMG_5108.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Topalidou wrote: 1. There is missing the ornament placed on top of the wood that served as a slot for the coins. This is the picture. What could this be? Does the trace indicate that this could be something that was widely used in Shefras’s slot machines or not?

I think this was probably an Essex coin acceptor, or similar. Notice the four screw mounting holes.

Topalidou wrote: 3. There is missing the motor that was used to move the mechanism. What kind of motor could the original be?
Probably a crane motor with combined gearing, similar to this one from Dumore:

Topalidou wrote: Also, can you recognize what is the β€œbox” next to the missing motor at Figure 3. Is it the timer or is it something like a dimer that adjusts the moving speed?

Yes, this is the rheostat, to control the motor speed.
Topalidou wrote: The name.
These types of items that present a spectacle are included in the β€œAutomata” category?
The term Automata is more connected with the term automatic or mechanical?
The term 'automata' is used quite broadly to include both highly sophisticated and quite simple mechanical and electromechanical models (usually of human or animal figures). This machine might be more accurately termed a 'working model'. It has no apparent connection with ombro-cinema.
Topalidou wrote: 2. There is this ornament nailed on the base of the circus. Perhaps it is connected with the earlier β€œCircus” phase.
It is written: β€œGOOD FOR ??EE PLAY ON MA??INE” and the number 138 is in the middle of the circle.

That's a token that would have been paid as a 'legal prize' by a slot machine. I think it's serving as a number plate here - telling the operator that key labelled 138 unlocks this machine.
Topalidou wrote: For last and for now, I would like to ask if an amusement park is the natural environment for this slot machine at the β€œShefras” phase, or where else could they be placed to operate.
Yes, working models were located in amusement parks and arcades.

The metal cast lamp cowl in your picture above is from an Exhibit Supply crane.
Topalidou wrote: Books
Are there any books on the subject that you could suggest?
Penny-in-the-Slot Automata & Working Models by Darren Hesketh
daleman

Post by daleman »

Nic Costa Automatic Pleasures and More Automatic Pleasures. Seminal works available from Amazon.
kris

Post by kris »

Hello everyone,
Could you please post another photo of the front view of the Essex coin acceptor? !THUMBS!
moonriver wrote: ↑Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:26 pmI have a coin op rotating diorama. The coin operates a timer that lights up the interior and vibrates a moving panel on the floor at the front
It looks like there are two eras, the later "Shefras" era that involves the case and the base of the machine and the earlier era that involves only inserted circus. The "Shefras" era is characterised by the basic material used to be made of. Mahogany. The base and the case are made basically of mahogany, some plywood, and another type of thin synthetic wood.

Also, could anyone paraphrase the words "working model". :didact:
moonriver wrote: ↑Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:26 pm When each different scene with its suspended characters appear, (cranked by the handle), as soon as the figure's feet touch the vibrating floor they either dance, or in the case of the bucking bronco the cowboy rides very realistically, or in the boxing scene the two boxers turn, punch and fight each other. The cranked handle at the front is a sure fire recipe for disaster in an operating environment, and shows a certain amount of naivety in design since in the wrong hands could very easily wreck the piece by turning the handle too fast.
Do the figures work as a shadow theatre? Also, could you send a photo of the opening window and the way it is connected to the wooden case?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to the site.
kris wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:41 pm Could you please post another photo of the front view of the Essex coin acceptor? !THUMBS!

acceptor-1.jpg

See Essex Coin Slides

'Working Model', in the context of automata and coin operated machines, means quite literally, a model, i.e., "three-dimensional representation of a person or thing, typically (but not necessarily) in miniature" that works, i.e., "does something, is animated, or moves".
kris

Re: Circus model supplied by Shefras

Post by kris »

Hello,
thanks for paraphrasing, in this case I am dealing with figures like those found at the shadow theater, and not exactly 3d models. I will try to upload a video of the machine while working. !!IDEA!!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Here is the working model we discussed. Not the same as yours as far as being silhouettes backlit or in operation but the crank handle at the front rotates each of the scenes in turn and as they change the floor vibrates and the figures move realistically.
Attachments
IMG_5115.PNG
IMG_5114 (1).PNG
IMG_5113.PNG
IMG_5112.PNG
IMG_5111.PNG
kris

Post by kris »

moonriver wrote: ↑Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:26 pm I have a coin op rotating diorama. The coin operates a timer that lights up the interior and vibrates a moving panel on the floor at the front. When each different scene with its suspended characters appear, (cranked by the handle), as soon as the figure's feet touch the vibrating floor they either dance, or in the case of the bucking bronco the cowboy rides very realistically, or in the boxing scene the two boxers turn, punch and fight each other. The cranked handle at the front is a sure fire recipe for disaster in an operating environment, and shows a certain amount of naivety in design since in the wrong hands could very easily wreck the piece by turning the handle too fast.
Hello, the colors used for the wooden case look a lot like the one I am working on.
Is mahogany used as a basic constructing material for this machine also?
Why it looks like it has three levels???
And the machine I am working on is missing the front door, or window or cover?? There are the remaining holes to indicate that there was one, once. Is it possible to show the closing cover in your macihine and the way it is connected to the case??
Thanks.
Love and peace all around. :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi kris and welcome to Pennymachines.co.uk, it's great to have you here.

My question is different.
What do you know about its past?
Where was it before it came to you?
Do people remember it from years ago, or did it suddenly appear at your museum with little history?
Thanks

BP :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

kris wrote: ↑Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:32 pmAnd the machine I am working on is missing the front door, or window or cover??
If you're saying there was a cover over the viewing window, then I suspect this would have only been for protection during transit. This sort of machine didn't usually have a front door for everyday use.
kris

Post by kris »

Hello.
coppinpr wrote: ↑Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:12 am If you're saying there was a cover over the viewing window, then I suspect this would have only been for protection during transit. This sort of machine didn't usually have a front door for everyday use.
Not even a glass?? They were open and exposed??
moonriver wrote: ↑Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:53 am Here is the working model we discussed. Not the same as yours as far as being silhouettes backlit or in operation but the crank handle at the front rotates each of the scenes in turn and as they change the floor vibrates and the figures move realistically.
Thanks for the example.
The fact that the background is painted, resembles the machine I am working on. In "my" machine the material used for the background painting is tempera colors. Is it the same in this case too??? Can you recognise the material used for the painting??
coppinpr wrote: ↑Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:48 pm Yes, clearly a play token, yet another use for them, I've seen them as washers, weights on bandit clocks, spacers and .........tokens! I'm going to suggest he removes the token to see the reverse side, Shafras had their name on the reverse but it's just possible its pre Shafras and might shed some light on the earlier machine (but I doubt it) :#:
As I have send you, I reversed the token, and it only repeats what is written on the first side: "GOOD TO PLAY FREE ON MACHINE". If a signature of Shefras on the one side of the tokens is a rule, then the absence of it indicates that there truly is a pre "Shefras" Circus period. Also could you send an example of such a token, with Shefras's signature in the one side??
coppinpr wrote: ↑Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:59 pm There must be a record of this machine somewhere. The artwork is clearly British (note the church and house in the background). I will ask the guy for photos of the mech.
What kind of records could these be??
k

Thanks
!!RAYOF!!
Love and peace all around
|/XX\|
daleman

Post by daleman »

This device is certainly something that started life as a domestic/ entertainment device long before Shefras was active. It would have been converted to coin op most likely in the late 1940s, early '50s, when the manufacture of new machines was prohibited by law other than those for export. Another example we have encountered from that period is an electrically operated singing bird from the late 1800s - converted from clockwork and put in a new 1940s case.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

kris wrote: ↑Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:48 pm If a signature of Shefras on the one side of the tokens is a rule, then the absence of it indicates that there truly is a pre "Shefras" Circus period. Also could you send an example of such a token, with Shefras's signature in the one side??
I don't think much can be deduced from that token. It was probably applied after purchase as a key number tag, from whatever the operator had to hand. Many companies made payout tokens. Shefras Tivoli tokens had their name on one side.

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

daleman wrote: ↑Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:14 pmIt would have been converted to coin op most likely in the late 1940s, early '50s
Certainly later than 1951, as the distributer's plate on the machine dates from 1951 onwards.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

daleman wrote: ↑Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:14 pm This device is certainly something that started life as a domestic/ entertainment device long before Shefras was active. It would have been converted to coin op most likely in the late 1940s, early '50s, when the manufacture of new machines was prohibited by law other than those for export. Another example we have encountered from that period is an electrically operated singing bird from the late 1800s - converted from clockwork and put in a new 1940s case.
When I look at the images it doesn't look to me like it has been an earlier automata that has been re-cased. The construction of the rotating base and everything surrounding it, including the circus tent, all of the surrounding brackets and motor and gearing supports are all in the same style and plywood and seem to have been constructed as one. The model appears to be built integrated into the cabinet rather than something much older just slid inside. There also doesn't seem to be any additions from original, (apart from the obvious recent lighting).
The age, construction and design of the mechanism is reminiscent of a 1940s Snow White prize box vender (similar to Treasure Cave) I have, and there are many similarities in the style of construction, the location of the motor and gearing to this one, as likely to be of similar age.
kris

Post by kris »

moonriver wrote: ↑Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:53 am Here is the working model we discussed. Not the same as yours as far as being silhouettes backlit or in operation but the crank handle at the front rotates each of the scenes in turn and as they change the floor vibrates and the figures move realistically.
Hello, do you know who is the manufacturer or the time it was made??
moonriver wrote: ↑Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:30 pm When I look at the images it doesn't look to me like it has been an earlier automata that has been re-cased. The construction of the rotating base and everything surrounding it, including the circus tent, all of the surrounding brackets and motor and gearing supports are all in the same style and plywood and seem to have been constructed as one. The model appears to be built integrated into the cabinet rather than something much older just slid inside. There also doesn't seem to be any additions from original, ( apart from the obvious recent lighting).
The age, construction and design of the mechanism is reminiscent of a 1940's Snow White prize box vender (similar to Treasure Cave) I have, and there are many similarities in the style of construction, the location of the motor and gearing to this one, as likely to be of similar age.
The things that make us suggest that the circus must be of an earlier era are:
1. The fact that there were two materials used. The cabinet is basicaly made out of mahogany. Mahogany is a exellent wood why didn't they use it also for making the inserted circus and they chose to make it out of spruse??
2. there are some holes possibly made out of nails that don't mach the cabinet. They seem to be present to the circus but don't seen to continue to the cabinet if this cabinet was its original.
3. there are also some nails that seem to have no reason to be there. They make us wonder whether the fabric is the original material to project the shadows or the original matterial was something else like paper.

The "Shefras" carpenters seem to have done a good job on making a nice fitting cabinet.
i will try to upload some fotos to show all these
k !!RAYOF!!
kris

Post by kris »

pennymachines wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:35 am
Topalidou wrote: 3. There is missing the motor that was used to move the mechanism. What kind of motor could the original be?
Probably a crane motor with combined gearing, similar to this one from Dumore:

Hello, the trace left on the wood seem to match the shape of this motor. The "Dumore" motor and the "Essex" coin slider are both made in US.
Can you estimate the time the "Dumore" motor was used in the UK? Perhaps this information can help estimate the time of the pre Shefras period.
k :woops:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes the unit would have had a glass top front for sure.

The Essex coin slide was (and still is) made in East London, UK.

The Dunmore motor may well have been used by Shefras or one of several similar motors (many had a similar footprint) being used for slot machines at the time. The motor is quite likely (in fact most likely) to have been previously used in an earlier machine (not your circus) perhaps a coin op crane?
kris

Post by kris »

hello, there is the word "OBIE" inciced at the front view wood twice. Does anyone know what could this be? There is a reference that connects it to the students at Oberlin College...??
Attachments
The word OBIE
The word OBIE
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Is it on the inside or outside of the case?
If outside, it's most likely random graffiti by a bored teenager.
kris wrote: ↑Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:28 pm Can you estimate the time the "Dumore" motor was used in the UK?
Like Essex, Dumore is still in business.
That motor was made after 1929 when they changed name from Wisconsin Electric Co. to Dumore Co., and before 1957, when they became Dumore Corp. See vintagemachinery.org
The digger craze took off in the early 1930s, and most of these motors date from that period, although they remained in use for many years after, frequently finding post-war use driving coin-op working models.