Circus model supplied by Shefras

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Re: ID wanted for unusual machine supplied by Shefras

Post by coppinpr »

I'm also looking forward to the revealing of the mystery although the description that is attached to the machine at present hints that it uses a development of the Ombro-cinema system which would make it a barrier grid animation but I don't see how a barrier grid could be projected on to the canvas... We shall see... I hope.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:04 pm ...I don't see how a barrier grid could be projected on to the canvas...
Back projection barrier grid systems for stereoscopic movies were developed in the '30s - '50s (e.g. the Cyclostéréoscope). If this machine does employ the Ombro-cinema system, I would expect to see some kind of drum-shaped grid behind the tent fabric with a rotating translucent loop of film behind this (carrying the images), and a light source behind that. The images wouldn't be very sharp, with no lens to focus them on the canvas.

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I would expect to see some kind of drum-shaped grid behind the tent fabric with a rotating translucent loop of film
personally, I don't think it would be as advanced as to use the later film versions of the Ombro-cinema system but an improved version of the original alternating static cards, this is after all a shadow show seen through a canvas tent,
I just hope the guy comes through with the photos to prove or disprove all our theories :lol:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I have now received the additional photos from the museum curator. I will attempt to post them here just as they were sent to me so you will have to allow for his English. I have answered some of his questions. Some are unanswerable but any and all info and thoughts on the machine will be greatly appreciated.

Figure 1: Circus tent partly restored:
Picture1a.jpg

Figure 2: View from the back showing the figures:
Picture2a.jpg

Figure 3: The mechanism:
Picture3b.jpg

Figure 4: The mechanism and the spot where the missing motor was placed:
Picture4b.jpg

Practically, I am looking for ANY kind of information than can be found about the item. Also, I am interested in finding out if there are any other same or similar to it items. This is very important because it will help us to find out about the missing parts. And for last but very important, the item seems to have two phases the “Shefras phase: that involves the case, the base and the frontal wood in the base of the circus where the slot is placed. The second phase is the circus with some “Shefras” adjustments.

Here are some more specific questions to begin with and focus on….
Missing parts:

1. There is missing the ornament placed on top of the wood that served as a slot for the coins. This is the picture. What could this be? Does the trace indicate that this could be something that was widely used in Shefras’s slot machines or not?
Picture5a.jpg

2. There are four holes that indicate that there was a protective frame /glass(?) at the case of the circus. What could this be?
Picture6a.jpg

3. There is missing the motor that was used to move the mechanism. What kind of motor could the original be? The motor is more likely to be connected with the first phase of the circus so searching the “Shefras” ground for it needs some attention.
Also, can you recognize what is the “box” next to the missing motor at Figure 3. Is it the timer or is it something like a dimer that adjusts the moving speed?

Plastic Knitting needles.
The four columns/supports of the circus, are red plastic knitting needles adjusted to fit the spot. Do you know when they were manufactured and of what kind of plastic they used to make them? For example, polystyrene or polyethylene
Picture9ba.jpg

This is the circus without the mechanism these pieces of wood near the cloth, serve as obstacles that give a vertical movement to the figures while moving roundly.
Picture8ba.jpg

The materials.
The base, the case and the frontal wood of the circus are made out of mahogany. This must be characteristic of the “Shefras” making.
The circus is made out of spruce.

The name.
These types of items that present a spectacle are included in the “Automata” category?
The term Automata is more connected with the term automatic or mechanical?
Picture11ba.jpg

2. There were also found three paper hands while working on the item. Perhaps this is a clue to lead to the “Circus” phase maker. The picture below shows one of these. They are not connected with the figures of this item since they are made out of wood and don’t seem to miss any part.
Picture10ba.jpg

Picture12ba.jpg
Picture12ba.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 790 times

2. There is this ornament nailed on the base of the circus. Perhaps it is connected with the earlier “Circus” phase.
It is written: “GOOD FOR ??EE PLAY ON MA??INE” and the number 138 is in the middle of the circle.
Picture13a.jpg

Picture14a.jpg

(this part is not mentioned in the file sent to e Paul)

The “Circus” phase
Picture7a.jpg

Since Shefras is known for remodeling items, I am very interesting to find information’s about the “Circus” before it became a “Shefras” slot machine.
Is it possible to make any connection with makers using the models of the figures as a clue?
Where?
For last and for now, I would like to ask if an amusement park is the natural environment for this slot machine at the “Shefras” phase, or where else could they be placed to operate.
Also, is an amusement park also a natural environment for the earlier “Circus” phase too?

Books
Are there any books on the subject that you could suggest?

Thank you very much
Looking forward for your reply
Best regards
K. Topalidou

P.S. I am sorry for my English, I hope this text makes sense.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:06 am I have answered some of his questions. Some are unanswerable but any and all info and thoughts on the machine will be greatly appreciated.
Have you given K. Topalidou a link to this topic?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

“GOOD FOR ??EE PLAY ON MA??INE”

"Good for free play on machine."

J Peterson
American sleuth
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes, clearly a play token, yet another use for them, I've seen them as washers, weights on bandit clocks, spacers and .........tokens! I'm going to suggest he removes the token to see the reverse side, Shafras had their name on the reverse but it's just possible its pre Shafras and might shed some light on the earlier machine (but I doubt it) :#:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

moonriver wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:20 am I'm guessing there is a turntable within the circular tent that has back lit silhouettes of circus animals passing by the back of the material at the front of the tent. I'm looking forward to the big reveal!
Now that's a pretty close guess! It looks like the 'crank handle' was a red herring. The Essex coin slide is missing from the hole. The rheostat is original and was there for adjusting the motor speed ( it wouldn't have had a rheostat if it had ever had a crank handle). The small wooden blocks screwed to the circular disc base make the silhouette figures move as the levers pass over them and the circus performers move in front of the light source ( the existing lamp is a replacement and the original was much bigger). The motor would have had a small spur gear drive from the gearbox directly onto the large gear wheel above the carousel.
As far as the run time, as the model doesn't have a run sequence it would need just a basic timer. I have even seen some models before with Essex coin slides fitted with a push in Bakelite pneumatic switch to start and stop the motor.
The circus figures are well made and have a nice mix of movements. It's a very nice model, shame it's over there, but glad it's appreciated and going to be well cared for.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Is it a 'domestic' toy, with a crank handle, made into a coin-op by an ingenious arcade operator?
It certainly happened with Pelham Puppets.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

It's massive, far too big for a domestic toy.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

This is the adjustable pneumatic switch mounted just behind the (missing) Essex coin slide which when depressed by the coin slide started the motor. This switch determined the run time of the model. Quite an early and crude way of providing a timer, not so reliable but good enough for something that doesn't need to run through a set sequence of operation. Succeeded by timer cams and relays in later models.
Attachments
IMG_5107.JPG
IMG_5108.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Topalidou wrote: 1. There is missing the ornament placed on top of the wood that served as a slot for the coins. This is the picture. What could this be? Does the trace indicate that this could be something that was widely used in Shefras’s slot machines or not?

I think this was probably an Essex coin acceptor, or similar. Notice the four screw mounting holes.

Topalidou wrote: 3. There is missing the motor that was used to move the mechanism. What kind of motor could the original be?
Probably a crane motor with combined gearing, similar to this one from Dumore:

Topalidou wrote: Also, can you recognize what is the “box” next to the missing motor at Figure 3. Is it the timer or is it something like a dimer that adjusts the moving speed?

Yes, this is the rheostat, to control the motor speed.
Topalidou wrote: The name.
These types of items that present a spectacle are included in the “Automata” category?
The term Automata is more connected with the term automatic or mechanical?
The term 'automata' is used quite broadly to include both highly sophisticated and quite simple mechanical and electromechanical models (usually of human or animal figures). This machine might be more accurately termed a 'working model'. It has no apparent connection with ombro-cinema.
Topalidou wrote: 2. There is this ornament nailed on the base of the circus. Perhaps it is connected with the earlier “Circus” phase.
It is written: “GOOD FOR ??EE PLAY ON MA??INE” and the number 138 is in the middle of the circle.

That's a token that would have been paid as a 'legal prize' by a slot machine. I think it's serving as a number plate here - telling the operator that key labelled 138 unlocks this machine.
Topalidou wrote: For last and for now, I would like to ask if an amusement park is the natural environment for this slot machine at the “Shefras” phase, or where else could they be placed to operate.
Yes, working models were located in amusement parks and arcades.

The metal cast lamp cowl in your picture above is from an Exhibit Supply crane.
Topalidou wrote: Books
Are there any books on the subject that you could suggest?
Penny-in-the-Slot Automata & Working Models by Darren Hesketh
daleman

Post by daleman »

Nic Costa Automatic Pleasures and More Automatic Pleasures. Seminal works available from Amazon.
kris

Post by kris »

Hello everyone,
Could you please post another photo of the front view of the Essex coin acceptor? !THUMBS!
moonriver wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:26 pmI have a coin op rotating diorama. The coin operates a timer that lights up the interior and vibrates a moving panel on the floor at the front
It looks like there are two eras, the later "Shefras" era that involves the case and the base of the machine and the earlier era that involves only inserted circus. The "Shefras" era is characterised by the basic material used to be made of. Mahogany. The base and the case are made basically of mahogany, some plywood, and another type of thin synthetic wood.

Also, could anyone paraphrase the words "working model". :didact:
moonriver wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:26 pm When each different scene with its suspended characters appear, (cranked by the handle), as soon as the figure's feet touch the vibrating floor they either dance, or in the case of the bucking bronco the cowboy rides very realistically, or in the boxing scene the two boxers turn, punch and fight each other. The cranked handle at the front is a sure fire recipe for disaster in an operating environment, and shows a certain amount of naivety in design since in the wrong hands could very easily wreck the piece by turning the handle too fast.
Do the figures work as a shadow theatre? Also, could you send a photo of the opening window and the way it is connected to the wooden case?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to the site.
kris wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:41 pm Could you please post another photo of the front view of the Essex coin acceptor? !THUMBS!

acceptor-1.jpg

See Essex Coin Slides

'Working Model', in the context of automata and coin operated machines, means quite literally, a model, i.e., "three-dimensional representation of a person or thing, typically (but not necessarily) in miniature" that works, i.e., "does something, is animated, or moves".
kris

Re: Circus model supplied by Shefras

Post by kris »

Hello,
thanks for paraphrasing, in this case I am dealing with figures like those found at the shadow theater, and not exactly 3d models. I will try to upload a video of the machine while working. !!IDEA!!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Here is the working model we discussed. Not the same as yours as far as being silhouettes backlit or in operation but the crank handle at the front rotates each of the scenes in turn and as they change the floor vibrates and the figures move realistically.
Attachments
IMG_5115.PNG
IMG_5114 (1).PNG
IMG_5113.PNG
IMG_5112.PNG
IMG_5111.PNG
kris

Post by kris »

moonriver wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:26 pm I have a coin op rotating diorama. The coin operates a timer that lights up the interior and vibrates a moving panel on the floor at the front. When each different scene with its suspended characters appear, (cranked by the handle), as soon as the figure's feet touch the vibrating floor they either dance, or in the case of the bucking bronco the cowboy rides very realistically, or in the boxing scene the two boxers turn, punch and fight each other. The cranked handle at the front is a sure fire recipe for disaster in an operating environment, and shows a certain amount of naivety in design since in the wrong hands could very easily wreck the piece by turning the handle too fast.
Hello, the colors used for the wooden case look a lot like the one I am working on.
Is mahogany used as a basic constructing material for this machine also?
Why it looks like it has three levels???
And the machine I am working on is missing the front door, or window or cover?? There are the remaining holes to indicate that there was one, once. Is it possible to show the closing cover in your macihine and the way it is connected to the case??
Thanks.
Love and peace all around. :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi kris and welcome to Pennymachines.co.uk, it's great to have you here.

My question is different.
What do you know about its past?
Where was it before it came to you?
Do people remember it from years ago, or did it suddenly appear at your museum with little history?
Thanks

BP :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

kris wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:32 pmAnd the machine I am working on is missing the front door, or window or cover??
If you're saying there was a cover over the viewing window, then I suspect this would have only been for protection during transit. This sort of machine didn't usually have a front door for everyday use.