Circus model supplied by Shefras

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
moonriver

Re: Circus model supplied by Shefras

Post by moonriver »

badpenny wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:22 pm Hi kris and welcome to Pennymachines.co.uk, it's great to have you here.

My question is different.
What do you know about its past?
Where was it before it came to you?
Do people remember it from years ago, or did it suddenly appear at your museum with little history?
Thanks

BP :cool:
BP asked some valid and interesting questions. Can you address these please kris?
kris

Post by kris »

Hello, sorry it took me so long to answer but I had to ask first.
This working model was bought by one of the founders of the Greek Film Archive from London during the '60s. It was bought along with other items of the collection from flea markets of the time such as The Portobello flea market.

Also, I am sending some photos of the machine while working and one that shows one of the nail holes on the circus wood (pre-Shefras period) that don’t “continue/match” to the Shefras’s-period cabinet wood.
And there is another photo that shows pair of nails that seem to have no functional use now. Another indication that the machine had two phases of use.
love and peace all around
k
!!CHEERS!!
Attachments
20220309_164229a.jpg
20220309_164303a.jpg
20220309_164307a.jpg
20220314_135226a.jpg
Last edited by kris on Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
kris

Post by kris »

daleman wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:14 pm This device is certainly something that started life as a domestic/ entertainment device long before Shefras was active. It would have been converted to coin op most likely in the late 1940s, early '50s, when the manufacture of new machines was prohibited by law other than those for export. Another example we have encountered from that period is an electrically operated singing bird from the late 1800s - converted from clockwork and put in a new 1940s case.
Dear daleman, hello,
You sound like you can help me find information about the pre-Shefras period. :D
The reseach about the "circus-era" tends to leave the field of slot machines and approach the world of old toys.
I have already mentioned that there were found in the circus, while restoring, three arms that seem to belong to similar figures to those of the circus but not of this circus. They are smaller and made out of paper.
I believe that the shape of the figures could lead to a manufacturer or to other toys made by the same person.
In case you wish to help and need more specific photos please ask.
Thank you
k
kris

Post by kris »

hello,
does anyone know what the number 6138 is on the Shefras plate??
thank you
Attachments
20211019_174502a.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Phone number? You could always dial it to check :lol:
kris

Post by kris »

...let's hope he will answer... !!COOEE!!
daleman

Post by daleman »

Hello Kris, yes put up the paper images. Our feeling is that the original device dates from the early 1900s.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

just to be clear Kris, UK phone dial looked like the one pictured below at the time and phone numbers were divided into three letters (the local area exchange depot) and 4 numbers(the phone line owners number at the exchange. You dialled the three letters first (in this case BIS (which stood for the Bishopsgate exchange) then the number 6138.
If you are old enough in the UK you never forget your old exchange code no matter how old you get, my home exchange was DER (Derwent) and my work exchange was MIT (Mitcham) :lol: In fact my work number is one of the longest continuous single contract registered numbers in the UK and even now the MIT is still part of the phone number although now of course its 648 not MIT

phone dial.jpg

kris

Post by kris »

Hello, now I understand.
Thank you. !!YIPPEE!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Inspiration for the circus model, perhaps?
In Morphy's forthcoming sale:
Whimsical carousel music box made by Bornand Freres in Ste. Croix, Switzerland, C. 1885. This Instrument uses a double mainspring 8" cylinder movement playing eight popular tunes to turn the carousel horses, gondolas, has the monkey crank the carousel organ and moves the two musicians as they play their instruments. A wonderful example of an early music box automata, with a great look and aged patina. Dimensions: 26" x 17 - 1/4" x 37".
Attachments
Carousel.jpg
Carousel-CU.jpg
Carousel-m.jpg
jingle

Post by jingle »

Looks like it was made last week
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

jingle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:30 pm Looks like it was made last week
:HaHa: It does!

Generally disappointing selection at Morphys again
kris

Post by kris »

pennymachines wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:00 pm Inspiration for the circus model, perhaps?
In Morphy's forthcoming sale:
Whimsical carousel music box made by Bornand Freres in Ste. Croix, Switzerland, C. 1885. This Instrument uses a double mainspring 8" cylinder movement playing eight popular tunes to turn the carousel horses, gondolas, has the monkey crank the carousel organ and moves the two musicians as they play their instruments. A wonderful example of an early music box automata, with a great look and aged patina. Dimensions: 26" x 17 - 1/4" x 37".
hello, thank you for this example
k **xXx** **xXx** **xXx**