Lock picking

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geofflove

Lock picking

Post by geofflove »

My other project in the waiting is this one. Unsurprisingly, no keys.

I really don’t want to drill it but I’m a very novice lock picker. I have furnished myself with some lock picking tools though!

So a couple of questions…. The ‘cover’ rotates freely so the idea of putting a small wrench in to put pressure on it while you fiddle is obviously not the right technique for this sort of lock. So what is?

Any tips from those who have succeeded would be welcome.
Attachments
A2182657-366A-49B3-BDE9-C36AC563D563a.jpg
55FFD4F0-2286-4824-BCDC-E6C91B663634a.jpg
gameswat

Re: Lock picking

Post by gameswat »

Geoff, since no one else has answered I will. These are not easy to pick, in fact I've never even bothered to try, instead slowly collected hundreds of different sized keys I test with, which works more often than you'd imagine. In your case just drill out the two cup head bolts either side and the lock will fall out, those bolts are nothing unique. Then with lock out you can open and figure out the key shape to suit.
frayle

Post by frayle »

Can't you just take it to a competent locksmith? Mine charged me £20 to pick a couple of similar locks on an Allwin, and then £30 to make two pairs of keys. No way you want to start drilling into the metalwork?
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Don't do anything to damage the lock. The ones with offset barrels are hard to find.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for the suggestions. It’s open! Managed to open it after dousing with penetrating oil. Not sure there was much finesse to it but after poking a prodding for a while with a bent lock pick it opened. The oil definitely made a difference as I suspect there was a bit of rust around.

Everything else looks clean and good and working inside so I think I need to open the lock now to find a key shaped thing to fit.