Jubilee Riviera Colossus

General vintage slot machine related topics.
rocky1980

Jubilee Riviera Colossus

Post by rocky1980 »

Topic moved from Questions & Answers - Site Admin.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and even newer to owning a one arm bandit. I have just got an old Jubilee Riviera (Colossus). When I pull the lever and let's say the 2 cherries fall in to place, it's so supposed to be a win but it's not paying out. Upon further inspection, my 1st and second reels were loose on the shaft. I have now tightened them but the payout is random, so instead of 2 or 3 cherries to pay out it will win on something like a lemon, melon, bell. Next to my reels I have 3 disks where pins drop in. What's the best way to get these running again so it pays out on the correct symbol? Also, where can I get new reel stickers? Any help would be great.

Regards.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Jubilee Riviera

Post by badpenny »

Hi rocky1980 welcome to the most helpful slot site there is.

Have you bought the one recently parading its charms on eBay? Should be a good starter bandit, as we keep saying on this site those Australian mechanisms are pretty well bomb proof.

I can't help with reel strips other than to say, are they damaged? Do they need replacing or just cleaning up with warm soapy water?

When it comes to repositioning the reels ....

Play the machine, and the moment the reels start spinning and before the brakes trip stop the spinning vane on top of the clock at the back (put a duster into it so as not to damage it. The reels will now free wheel to a stop.

Look for the vertical finger that pokes through the reels at the side which in turn knocks out all of the horizontal fingers behind the payout slides. It may well be the one nearest the front. Turn the reels until that finger lines up with the holes in all three plates (beware if your machine pays out on 3 symbols anywhere in the window, if so, you need to chose the middle slot on each plate) Remove the duster to restart the clock and you should now get a maximum payout.

Looking at the payout line on the reels, slacken off those that show the wrong symbol and adjust away to your heart's delight.

To maintain the high standards of this club you should only attempt this naked, in your front room, at night, with all the lights on and the curtains back.

So what can go wrong?
If there is more than one top winning combination, you may have to retry.
The vicar's wife recognises you without seeing your face :o

Good luck!
Send food parcels!
Don't forget Opal Fruits are now Starburst

Badpenny
rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I got it from ebay and it's about to go back - it's driving me nuts lol. The reel strips are worn out and some colourless. I will prob just get some made up at a printers or something once it's all OK.
I'll give that a go with the reels - hopefully it will it sort out. lol
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sorry, but you can't send them back. Once in your home you have to succumb to all future temptations and become a laughing stock to all of your family. Don't worry about what your friends think, in a short time you'll have no friends.
Why should we be the only ones? Welcome on board.

Let us know when you're ready to move onto more exotic and expensive beasts so we can all dust down the junk we've not been able to get working or shift on ......they could become yours.

And then there's the Coventry Auction, better start saving.
toibs

Post by toibs »

badpenny wrote:
Let us know when you're ready to move onto more exotic and expensive beasts so we can all dust down the junk we've not been able to get working or shift on ......they could become yours.
You'll have year or more to wait on that one Rocky... dont panic.. ;)

*Ducks* ;)
rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 »

Cheers guys, I don't think I'll be getting more expensive ones though this one is driving me mad. I'd be sick if I had loads of money in it. lol.
Dunno if anyone can help on this but the pins on the right hand side that go into the disks when there's a win? They seem to slow the spin on the machine so if the springs (which are poor condition, some loose, some tight) are disconnected it spins good. Once the springs are connected the first reel hardly turns, maybe like one fruit, two at best. It looks like the pin is acting like a brake on the first disk. Are all of these machines like that? If not, what's the best way to fix it?

Cheers
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No the vertical fingers don't make contact with the payout plates as they turn and are held back by a bar that runs the length of them until the end of the cycle which is when they are released to find a winning combination.

I'll have a hunt for some photos or a manual that should show it clearer.
In the meantime someone else may come along who can explain it in words instead of mental pictures which is what I am trying to do.

Just recently we've had a couple of new members who have taken the plunge and bought a bandit without looking at it first and satisfying themselves that it works or is within their capability to mend.
I think the eBay age has cultivated a society of careless buyers with too much trust.
When I started collecting slots I'd travel miles to look at a machine for sale and go over it, playing it, trying all of the combinations before parting with my sovs.

What's changed?
Is it the fact that we're in a race with others against the clock that either makes us too trusting or stops us from saying "No Thanks it's not right" It doesn't stop me, if I arrive to collect and it has non described problems I tell them and decline on the basis it's not what they claim/described.

I certainly wouldn't pay to have one couriered and then be lumbered with it, unless it was a vendor I know and trust.
rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 »

Cheers matey that would be good.
I got this fairly cheap as a cash on collection as it wasn't too far away, but yea when I got home it had its bugs and its' being a nightmare.
rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 »

Sorted that problem guys - it turned out not to be the pins but the plate that presses against the disks to stop them turning backward. It was catching ever so slightly, stopping the first reel.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Congratulations, you have just sorted out your first mechanical problem. !!CHEERS!! You have taken your first step to bug fixing and quite a thrill when you suddenly get it right. Plod on with it matey, loads of help on here, you can't let the bugger beat you. But a warning to you, one arm bandits and all things coin operated are highly addictive. You might find yourself smiling at my post in a couple of years time when you have machines secretly secreted all over your house. I went from one to nine in three years, and have parted with 4, taking my tally to 13, some projects, some working straight from purchase. I'm sure my purchasing is rather small compared with some other peeps on here. Do you have a picture to upload so we can see what you are up against?
malc
rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 »

Hi Malc, thanks, I don't think the Mrs will let me get that many machines though but you never know lol. It's getting there this one, although it will need re-chroming, some decals made up and reel strips (had to improvise with cut outs and Prit Stick!). Still got a few mechanical glitches to sort out. It has the odd jam and you have to press the free play bar thing in to pull the lever again.
Attachments
IMG_0263.jpg
IMG_0262.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Well, for reel strips ring up Henry Powell. Head across to his website http://www.1armedbandit.co.uk (contact details on there). He will be able to do the reel strips for you. You will have to tell him the layout of the symbols (20 on each reel), so a bit tedious. He might just know the layout.
rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 »

Brilliant mate - I'll give it a go.
Cheers.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Like rocky1980 I have likewise acquired my first bandit, being a Jubilee Riviera Colossus. Let me first say before you send the firing squad, yes, I did buy it untested, as it would otherwise have involved a 600 mile round trip but that was a gamble I took as I really liked the look of it. :tut

It appears sound and in great overall condition, runs well (but see below) and no loose parts I can find, but I would appreciate any advice on two problems:

First one is that whilst I have both keys and the front opens no problem, the bottom key turns a quarter turn and sounds like it is unlocking but the drawer doesn't move. What does this give access to and is this likely to be a lock problem or just something jamming it? Don't want to force anything if it is something simple.

Second problem is that the payouts are random and bear no relationship to the symbols with the exception of the jackpot which by pure chance came up and paid out correctly. I see from the earlier post from badpenny there are instructions to solve a similar problem - is this something I should try first or is there another likely solution (in words of one syllable if poss please as I am a simple person !PUZZLED! ) .

Many thanks..................Brian
Attachments
20181111_192823_resized.jpg
20181111_192744_resized.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

From what you say about the Jackpot paying correctly, I would think that the machine has simply been re-assembled carelessly after cleaning or overhaul.
Most people start with the Jackpot combination when building-up a reel set. Of course, there are numerous ways of lining-up that combination, only one of which is the right one, and so you must then check each of the lower payouts too. A careless or inexperienced operator may not have done this.
First check that reels 1 and 2 are not swapped-over, then start with the cherries, which are on the outside payout finger. Set the reel 1 payout disc to a cherry payout position, and see what the reel is showing. If it isn't showing a cherry, then it's on the shaft wrong!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Hi, glad you got your first bandit. Firstly, buying a machine unseen is only a risk if (a) it's a rare and expensive machine or you are paying a premium because it's said to be in perfect condition or (b) you don't want to or can't do any work on them yourself. Buying a middle order machine like this one that I liked the look of unseen wouldn't bother me at all.

I take it you mean the cash draw lock? I can't remember what the set up is on this; the lock is either connected to a long bar that goes all the way to the back where it turns in a simple key hole to lock the draw or it's the same as the door lock set up. Either way, it could be that the lock or its internal connection have come loose and it appears to move but is actually not turning on the inside. Within reason do not be afraid to apply a little pressure, don't forget these were built like a safe to stand a hard life. Try pushing the draw in hard while turning the key, also you MIGHT be able to see what's going on in the draw by removing the mech and looking through the base plate. If it's the long bar set up it might be possible to grab the bar through the base plate and turn it in conjunction with turning the key. Very last resort is to drill out the lock.

The payouts are, of course, harder to troubleshoot without seeing the machine. First thing to check is that the reel strips are on in the right positions, although unlikely. What makes me wonder is that it pays the jackpot. Oe of the basic mistakes made when replacing reel strips is to simply line up the BARS and think all the others will line up. If any reel has more than one BAR it has to be the correct BAR not any BAR. The first thing to check is if the payouts are indeed random or are they paying on the same odd combinations each time (does bell-orange-plum always pay 8 for example). If all the amounts are there and are paying out and on the same odd line ups then it's most likely the reel strips. The easiest way to find the payouts is to use the stop fan method and slowly move the reels round by hand to id the actual payouts (if you need help on how to use the stop fan just ask).
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for your advice guys.
coppinpr - your comment "The slice of melon, the strawberry and even some of the cherries belong to no vintage bandit I've seen." - are you looking at the previous poster's machine? I can't see any strawberries or melon slices on mine. !PUZZLED!
brianh

Post by brianh »

Ah - see your post not there any more coppinpr. Please ignore my comment!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Well Rocky,

You can see from BrianH's Pictures that your machine has an incorrect combination of artwork/award cards. It is possible that your reel bundle is correct for the top, or lower artwork or for neither of them.

Once you can confirm whether the reel bundle matches a Colossus or not, it would assist where you go from there, in the decision process. I think I have a Colossus reel bundle with original strips somewhere. Whilst you're checking the reel bundle and payouts I'll have a look for it.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
leef

Jubilee Riviera Colossus

Post by leef »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi
I've started to restore my old Riviera and was wondering if anybody had the schematics for the lighting? Mine hasn't lit up since I got it. Any photos from other Colossus owners would be great too - this one is 'One Spin, One New Penny'. 15p Jackpot, not a bad return. The payout numerals have obviously been altered from its '2 Pulls / 1'-' days, but it would be nice to have an idea of the original font for the payouts.

It's also missing both of the locks so if anybody has a pair that would fit?

Cheers everyone

Lee