Pot Luck Allwin problem

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
brianh

Pot Luck Allwin problem

Post by brianh »

Hi all

I have a Pot Luck Allwin which was basically just the unit without a cabinet as it was part of a 4-machines display, so I have been making a cabinet for it and have now got around to the actual workings.
All works fine, ball spins beautifully and win rate just enough to keep it interesting. The problem I have is with the payouts. It has a 2, 4, 6, and mystery coin payouts and the usual triggers as (3) in the pic. As I understand it, the sequence is that normally the ball would drop into top middle or bottom and turns of the payout knob would move the triggers to release the ball, at the same time as paying out accordingly, until the ball reach the bottom shute, at which time the last "trigger" would go back up, and the "hammer" shaped piece (1 on pic) would drop down and be prevented from moving right, locking the payout knob from turning. But the "hammer" does not drop enough to lock, so the payout knob keeps turning indefinitely. WD40 doesn't help and the "triggers" and "hammer" all move freely so is there maybe a spring that should pull it down? Or does (2) on pic have any bearing on it? Any clues please?
Attachments
pot luck3.jpg
treefrog

Re: Pot Luck Allwin problem

Post by treefrog »

The screw that holds the hammer looks to be a philips type and not a Shoulder screw. If not freely operating, it may prevent the arm lifting and dropping correctly, have you checked this or replace with a shoulder screw and nut……maybe |/XX\|
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks treefrog, I'll give it a try but the arm does move freely, just doesn't seem to be enough weight in it to drop back down on its own, almost like it's balance is out !PUZZLED! . If the change of nut doesn't work maybe I'll try adding a tiny bit of weight to it at the end (?)
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Can’t say it will fix it, but if gravity set, any friction like the threads on a screw won’t help. I have seen people file down bolts to create a shoulder screw operation, but not ideal. I would find right diameter and thickness version as wrong size won’t help. Also a drop of oils on all moving linkages….
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

A couple of observations in addition to TFs most likely cause. Where your arrow number 2 is pointing, beneath and attached to the slotted screw there should be a piece much like the upper part which has a spring attached. It is all one piece, but your lower part looks broken. Not likely to fix your problem as it is mainly there to ensure you complete the turning of the pay out knob - the lower bit will catch in the teeth of the ratchet system if you have not fully turned the knob.

Also the long vertical lever above the knurled knob which you can turn to adjust for a free ball [or no free ball] - you have a small spring just up from the bottom of this lever. This is usually longer, about one inch, and quite firm. It may not be doing its job and causing interference with the payout levers and therefore the locking lever not dropping.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks again Treefrog and thanks 13Rebel - the Forum saves my sanity one again !!THUMBSX2!! The Shoulder screw I can probably get from eBay and I have a box of assorted springs so that's no problem. The diamond shaped bit you mentioned, 13Rebel, (arrow 2 in my pic) did look as though the end had snapped off and I'm not sure I can source one of those so may have to make one myself. Would be good to get the machine fully working, almost there! Just out of interest, to show you what I was up against apart from the lack of a cabinet, I am attaching a pic of the backflash when I got it and my attempt at a replacement.*Moved to Resources - Site Admin. Not quite got the font right on the instructions but best I could do!

old flash.jpg

Attachments
backflash1Cs.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Font looks similar to Bahnschrift Light SemiCondensed but Arial Narrow is a good approximation too.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Hi Brianh
sorry but my OCD kicked in and noticed that you have the payouts wrong on your new backflash should be 2d 4d 6d :)
all the best ... dicky
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

There is a good copy of the Pot Luck backflash in "Resources" already to use. !THUMBS!
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for everyone's help !!THUMBSX2!!
slotalot - can't find it. Tried search in resources for pot luck but nothing came up !PUZZLED!
tallstory - thanks - always had trouble with that one so I will remember for the next one.
dickywink - :oops: - well spotted! - you'd think as an ageing child of the 60s with an old-school maths "o" level and love of all things number related I'd have noticed that :-? Luckily I seem to have found it before I reassembled the machine - pic attached, (just need to colour match the wood in case anyone mentions mismatch!).
Attachments
pl1.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Brilliant restoration - well done.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

slotalot wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:56 pm There is a good copy of the Pot Luck backflash in "Resources" already to use. !THUMBS!
Hi Stuart - good to see you back. !!THUMBSX2!!
I can't find a Pot Luck flash in Resources. :!?!:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Dave, Im never far away.. !!THUMBSX2!! very strange as I cant find it now either ?? I know there was one, because I took a thumbnail copy of it for a model I was working on some time back, !PUZZLED! or maybe I am having another Senior Moment :oops:
wp449f933c_05_06.jpg
wp449f933c_05_06.jpg (18.61 KiB) Viewed 455 times

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That image appears to have come from our friend at https://www.endofthepier.co.uk/pennymachines.html
It's marked as, "Artwork needed", so apparently he doesn't have a full scan either.
I've moved the above work to Resources - thanks brianh. !THUMBS!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Well there you go, Senior Moment.. !WHOOPS!