UK early pinball coin slide mechanism

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
realuncas

UK early pinball coin slide mechanism

Post by realuncas »

Hi. Newbie here. In UK. I have recently bought a 1930s Rainbo De Luxe early mechanical pinball machine. More of a bagatelle really. It has a vertical mounted coin slide mechanism that is different to the more usual horizontal mounted ones. I am wondering if this was a UK design - for the UK market? Made by Keeney and Sons Ltd. in the U.S. but I wonder if some were shipped to the UK without coin mechanism (to be added later in the UK), or perhaps the whole machine was a UK copy (though the playfield is identical). Does anyone have this machine or know anything about it?

There is evidence within the cabinet of perhaps a missing bracket, and a further redundant screw. Both suggest there was maybe some additional mechanism - maybe additional spring? The coin slide works intermittently without use of a coin. Again, I think the coin mechanism must have a missing element. Ideally I need photos of the inside of a fully working cabinet and coin slide to try work out what's missing from mine. If anyone has such photos - either of Rainbo De Luxe or Rainbo, then I would hugely appreciate seeing them. I'll post some photos of mine below. (I will be stripping off the turquoise paint in due course!)
Thanks.
Attachments
1ba.jpg
2ba.jpg
3a.jpg
4a.jpg
deluxe-2a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: UK early pinball coin slide mechanism

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to the site!

You may find some useful titbits in this topic (which I might merge with yours): Rainbo, Arc en Ciel, Spry Ball, Tura-Ball pinballs

I've seen that coin entry on Rainbos before, and as you suggest, it may well have been a modification by a British importer. In fact, this entry at Worthpoint indicates that Scott Adickes and Company Ltd. is a likely candidate:
I have done some research and this would seem to be a 1932 pinball machine originally designed and produced by Keeney and sons. But this one must have been made or at leased distributed by Scott Adickes & company LTD by the plaque on the machine. The mechanism is in full working order and it looks like the original ceramic balls. You have to use old penny's for a game. This was bought by my grandfather from a café in Croydon which was closing down.
Scott Adickes & Co. produced, imported and sold games in the UK, France (as Scott Adickes & Cie) and Germany, and claimed to be sole distributors of Exhibit Supply Co., Genco, Keeney and Daval products. They built clones of several American designs (presumably under licence), starting with Arc De Ciel, the French version of Rainbo.
Attachments
From Pinball 1, Dick Bueschel
From Pinball 1, Dick Bueschel
Rainbo.jpg
realuncas

Post by realuncas »

Thanks very much for that info. Again though, does anyone have a photo of the mechanism inside the cabinet? From the the info given in the last reply it seems likely that what I thought was evidence of a bracket was in fact the remains of a metal makers label. I did follow up on the Arc De ciel games and did find photos of the cabinet insides. A different coin mechanism, but suggests mine might be complete after all. I'll post the Arc De ciel pics here.
Attachments
arc pin3.jpg
arc pin2.jpg
arc pin1.jpg
sentimental salvage

Post by sentimental salvage »

I’ve got a Rainbo with that same vertical slide here in Australia.
realuncas

Post by realuncas »

Hi.
If you could post a photo of that vertical slide mechanism that would be helpful. Inside the machine.
Cheers, Martin.