No Thanks

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
special when lit

Re: No Thanks

Post by special when lit »

Found this on an electromechanical bandit I bought, a couple of years ago.
It always pays to give things the once over, before plugging in.
Attachments
plug1.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

What was the bandit?
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Sega Continental.
roger

Post by roger »

Sorry johntpeterson but your "electric goat-pen story" was a bit off-topic.
Why not tell us about the time you fell out of a Dodgem Car and received 10,000 volts. ROGER
nuns.jpg

NOW THAT'S NEWS
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Fake news, Roger. I was wearing my rubber goat boots and avoided the shock. I did give those Nuns a good bump. (Car only.)

J Peterson
Electric personalty, USA
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

john t peterson wrote:I did give those Nuns a good bump. (Car only.)
I sincerely hope that you did not make a habit of it John and that 'none' of them were too shaken :lol:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Never got into a habit, Arrgee. And I'm not Catholic, either.

J Peterson
Lapsed, USA
roger

Post by roger »

nuns-target.jpg

This should keep the Nuns "on topic" and, hopefully, get us back to my original request for information on the "Paces Races" and "Rockola Baseball" penny arcade machines. ROGER
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I remember that stall, it was called "Bag a protestant" and you won a plastic rosery if you got three in a row.

But to get back to "Paces Races" as you insist.
you made a huge mis judgement by not buying this machine, and not just because its the best slot machine ever made (the Buckley bones comes a close second) but because Paces Races is barely an electric machine, only one electric entry point, leading to one quite small electric motor, and that's it! every function on the machine, from the races to the odds setting to the payout is air driven, you could have rummaged about all day in one of those and never found a live wire. But beware, only the "Paces Races" were vacuum driven, the Evens ones were full of electrikery.
el shock.jpg
el shock.jpg (20.31 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

tim575

Post by tim575 »

The Paces Races has a second electric function besides the motor. It has a light bulb. Seriously though, very complicated vacuum mechanics, vacuum relays, two different type of vacuum random number generators, and automatic payout based on odds in hidden compartment for the coins. They do need to be operated frequently. I left mine sit too long without play and now I need to work on it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

tim575 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:27 pm They do need to be operated frequently. I left mine sit too long without play and now I need to work on it.
That confirms what I suspected. Far less complicated slot machines 'forget how to work' when not played frequently.
I've only seen one Paces Races come up for sale in the UK (many years ago), although I know some brave British collectors have imported them.

Although European, and particularly British games, are my passion, there's a small bunch of American machines I covet. Top would probably be the Caille all-mechanical Roulette (counter-top version - because small is good), the counter-top dice games (especially the Mills), some of the Rockola pinballs, and the Rockola two-player Baseball (as per Roger's post). Paces Races was quite an amazing achievement for its time. It's size, weight and complexity are intimating.
roger

Post by roger »

THANKS one and all for contributing to my post with such valuable information about my favorite machines.
It never occurred to me that some did not receive wide distribution in England.

I would also like to thank the three individuals who contacted me with personal messages concerning what they referred to as the "Enima Machine".

I'll leave you with one slightly off-topic..........What do you call a sleep walking nun ?........ A "roamin Catholic".
ROGER
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

roger wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:50 pm It never occurred to me that some did not receive wide distribution in England.
Of those I listed, the only ones I know were operated here in number were the Rockola pins. The Paces Races sold in the UK by Christie's came from a Swiss collection.
roger

Post by roger »

lift-o-graph.jpg

Mutoscope Lift-o-Graph

First, some picker wanted to sell me a machine which would have required housing in an airplane hanger....
Now, another dealer has offered me a weight lift monkey machine as pictured. Apparently, he does not know that I am on a first name basis with my hernia surgeon.
Note the resemblance to the English 2 player Monkey Climb.
ROGER
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

he does not know that I am on a first name basis with my hernia surgeon
and that's only getting it through the door! :NBG:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

roger

Re: THANKS to Mr.P

Post by roger »

Mr. P. did it again with 2 great videos of the Paces Races and Rockola World Series.

Cheers and a big Ta...........ROGER !!CHEERS!!
roger

Post by roger »

appolo.png

My hernia doctor has requested referrals...........ROGER
Attachments
duble hernia.jpg
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

pennymachines wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:32 pm The Paces Races sold in the UK by Christie's came from a Swiss collection.
Hi pennymachines.
I bought the 1937 Paces Races at Christies. I still have it and works flawlessly. Could you tell me anymore about the Swiss collection it came from?
Thanks Nigel
Attachments
races_01.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Nigel,
It looks splendid and good to hear it's still functioning well. Did you have to work on it when you purchased it?

I recall chatting to you about it a few years ago (in the cafe down the road from the Elephant House). I also remember speaking to you when you bought it all those years ago... I'm not sure, but think it might have been one of the auctioneers who mentioned that the machines had come from Switzerland. No mention of this in the catalogue?