Fair Warning

General vintage slot machine related topics.
roger

Fair Warning

Post by roger »

As they say in the auction world, "fair warning". Here's another one of my "old time" stories.
senior-funny-mana.jpg
senior-funny-mana.jpg (29.81 KiB) Viewed 1043 times

It is hard to believe that coin-op collecting is alive and well without the likes of Nic Costa, Dick Bueschel, and Jim Broderick. They opened the doors to our hobby in the 1970s... Prior to that I collected coin-ops with a wing and a prayer. My only criteria was that a certain "gizmo" had to have a coin slot.
Nick Costa put together a great collection of English machines. He was instrumental in expanding my interest from the U.S. to the U.K. He paved the way for johntpeterson to "steal" many of the English machines.

Nick has a vast knowledge of coin-ops and I read that he has donated his extensive archives to a museum. He sold his collection at Christies back in 2006. I gave up trying to follow his varied career but I'd like to know if he ever waded back into collecting. Has any member kept in touch with him?

Dick Bueschell was an American icon and walking encyclopedia on coin-ops. His widely circulated books and articles were a guiding light that expanded our hobby in the 1970s.......... There was a downside to his work as "price guides" started to hit the bookstores and prices went thru the roof. My lengthy telephone calls with him cost me a fortune but has given me rememberances I will always treasure.

I never met Jimmy Broderick, but many of the English machines I acquired were plastered with signs of the Star Warehouse and Broderick Auto...... I am told that he was quite a character and viewing his back storage was like gaining access to Fort Knox. Did any member have direct dealings with him and get to view his special stash of rare machines?

Perhaps other members would like to pay tribute to other pioneers in our hobby and relate their associations.

Hey, how about our own Mr.P..........Reading between the lines I gather that he is approaching those "Golden Years" and certainly deserves recognition for a his vast contributions to our hobby. ROGER
dog  2.png
dog 2.png (99.41 KiB) Viewed 1611 times

treefrog

Re: FAIR WARNING

Post by treefrog »

I cannot comment on any of the people other than Mr PM as only been collecting for , well 14 years now. Quite a few of the well known collectors I have met in UK I have not seen for some years, as either do not use or contribute on this like, gone quiet or even worse. Has not helped with less meeting points like auctions to speak to people........where has everyone gone, maybe the three collectors sales coming up soon might explain things !SMARTY!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Roger,

I would challenge the idea that I did "steal" all those fabulous British arcade games. Rather, I prefer to think I stealthily removed them from market under the unsuspecting eye of an uneducated and indifferent American public. More like a covert public service, right? @&@

J Peterson
Thief at large, USA
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

More like a covert public service,
isn't that the CIA john? !COOLGUY!
john t peterson

Possibly, Coppinpr but the focus currently in the US is on the FBI and their warrant to recover the Top Secret documents Trump stole when he left the White House. Nothing covert about the search but listening to the right-wing media, you would think the agents violated the Virgin Mary.

J Peterson
Covert by necessity, USA
roger

Coin-Operated Pissoir

Post by roger »

Nobody responded to my request for information on Jimmy Broderick so I did a little sleuthing on the internet.
Star Yard.jpg

Jimmy's Star Warehouse was located close to present day STAR YARD which is a story in itself... It may not look like much, but here lies London's Victorian "Pissoir" which is right up there with the British Museum as a top tourist attraction... It is coin-operated but, unlike the Trevi Fountain, you toss a penny into your urinal... honor system.
Give it a try, as you may just run into Jimmy and get a bargain allwin.
ROGER

Anyone looking for part time employment??? The Pissoir needs a coin counter.
Attachments
Star-Yard-2a.jpg
roger

Jimmy Broderick

Post by roger »

Port-a-John.jpg

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Roger, if you use the search function, it is surprising how often topics have been discussed and Star Warehouse included. Even pictures of the interior and proprietor…..

Star Warehouse, Camden Market
brigham

Post by brigham »

john t peterson wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:34 pm Roger,

I would challenge the idea that I did "steal" all those fabulous British arcade games. Rather, I prefer to think I stealthily removed them from market under the unsuspecting eye of an uneducated and indifferent American public. More like a covert public service, right?

J Peterson
Thief at large, USA
Covert Public Service?
You mean you HOOVERed them up!
john t peterson

:HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa:
roger

Post by roger »

To johntpeterson.................. :( :( :( :( :( coincounter
jetsetjester

Post by jetsetjester »

Some great names mentioned there Roger. Whilst I am new here on the forum, I do go back some way with the coin-op hobby.

I was in touch with Dick Bueschell over the years and always found him generous with his time and knowledge. His books on our hobby showed incredible research and despite his amazing knowledge in coin-op, he is arguably better known today as a world authority on WW2 Japanese fighter aircraft! (google it)

Nic Costa, I did not know, but his book Automatic Pleasures finally gave me more understanding of coin-op beyond pinball and post WW2 amusements. It also introduced me to Bob Klepner, who lived not far from me here in Melbourne, Australia. Bob always shared his incredible knowledge, experience and machines; in fact how many people could say "I'm just off to Bob's place to enjoy some Matthewson’s Mermaid Yacht Race & some Indian Head Mutoscopes" We also shared a great love of film and cinemas. He still saw almost a movie a week at a cinema right up until close to his passing.

I have been in touch with many other collectors over the years including the late Russ Jensen in the US and am lucky to know a few other local collectors including Allan, John and Jeff who all have extensive collections that include antique coin-op. I'm always keen to meet more collectors and know more about the history of those that were pioneers in this field like the late Fred Fried in NYC and his incredible collection.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Covert Public Service?
You mean you HOOVERed them up!
I guess a few were UNTOUCHABLES :lol: