Quite a rare beasty - Mills Futurity

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Quite a rare beasty - Mills Futurity

Post by badpenny »

Mills Futurity 5c

Just over a year ago I attended a funeral in Coventry.
My first Father in Law.
Then just before Christmas I went to a second funeral in Coventry, this time it was my first Mother in Law's second husband. So that'd be my Step Father in Law.
Finally two weeks later on New Year's Eve Mother in Law herself shuffled off.
I've spent more time in Coventry scoffing free buffets than I've had Covid.

Never mind I've still got two sets (of in laws) left. However I do get nervous when driving to Coventry if I see a Police car in my mirror.

Still the highlight of this last one was when I got home, as this time I had a Mills Futurity strapped in next to me!
IMG_3393a.jpg
IMG_3393a.jpg (235.11 KiB) Viewed 811 times

I'd always wanted a Mills Versatility, as there aren't too many unmolested examples left. It was common in the 1930s to jemmy off the clock to get around its getting banned in Las Vegas.
Also it's the precursor to the BONUS machines of which there are two types. The Horse Head BONUS and the Hi-top BONUS. Both of which I already have.

Should anyone not know the history of the Mills Utility, basically …
The idea of the game is it counts the number of non winning plays on a clock face. If you lose 10 times in a row it pays you back your 10 coins. A very clever psychological selling point.

Maybe in a later thread I'll go into how these machines do what they do however, suffice it to say there is an element of jiggery pokery going on. You can't be in this hobby too long without hearing the word “Cheat” used in the same sentence with these machines (except the Hi-top).
The two Bonus machines do differ in what/how they do their thang! And of course the Futility is a different game and operates in a manner unrelated yet again.
I've got the hang of both types of Mills BONUS and now need to dissect the Mills Hostility which obviously is radically different. It sports all sorts of additional levers, sprockets and back pedalling mud guards. Those of you into bandits I am sure will easily identify the "bots & bibs" additional to your basic 3 reeler.
IMG_3392a.jpg
IMG_3392a.jpg (143.05 KiB) Viewed 810 times

IMG_3389a.jpg
IMG_3389a.jpg (195.47 KiB) Viewed 810 times

IMG_3388a.jpg
IMG_3388a.jpg (163.36 KiB) Viewed 810 times

IMG_3387a.jpg
IMG_3387a.jpg (136.37 KiB) Viewed 810 times

I've always preferred smart looking machines in my collection, not always to the “gleaming sharper than the day they left the factory” style we see so often nowadays. It's more important they work and are complete while maybe a bit faded rather than sporting bits that aren't connected, but you need sunglasses.
So it may stay as it looks, I believe the word is patina!
john t peterson

Re: Quite a rare beasty - Mills Futurity

Post by john t peterson »

BP, I believe the word is "fabulous." Well done, Mate, well done indeed.

J Peterson
Futurist, USA
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Great machine, would have loved that, myself.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Lovely BP never owned any of the machines you mentioned, if I ever came across one on old Blighty coins I certainly would be tempted as all lovely machines, although never seen the Fruturity on anything other than cents.. !!THUMBSX2!! !THUMBS!
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

Congratulations on finding an original Futurity. Beautiful machine !!THUMBSX2!!
JC

Post by JC »

Very nice J, very nice indeed. Although I'm not really much of a bandit man, certainly not so much as I once was, the Futurity is one machine that I would love to own. And you say you just happened to arrive back with it when returning from Coventry?
Well, I've been to Coventry on quite a few occasions over the years and I've never come back with one :#:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Desirable machine bp, and a good looker (Futurity that is).
You post some nice pics and tempt us as to what this machine is supposed to do and intimate that they lived up to the ubiquitous shadey reputation of the slot world, but have you reached ten plays without a win of any kind yet ! :!?!:
Come on, spill the beans
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

JC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:50 pm Very nice J, very nice indeed. Although I'm not really much of a bandit man, certainly not so much as I once was, the Futurity is one machine that I would love to own. And you say you just happened to arrive back with it when returning from Coventry?
Well, I've been to Coventry on quite a few occasions over the years and I've never come back with one :#:
You've not returned from Coventry after 3 funerals in a year though have you?
BP
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

arrgee wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:20 pm Desirable machine bp, and a good looker (Futurity that is).
You post some nice pics and tempt us as to what this machine is supposed to do and intimate that they lived up to the ubiquitous shadey reputation of the slot world, but have you reached ten plays without a win of any kind yet ! :!?!:
Come on, spill the beans
Yes. Yes I have.
It's happened 3 times against exactly lots of times when 2 cherries popped up on either 5 or 10.
What happens is you put in the coin, pull the handle and then magic happens.

BP :!?!:
JC

Post by JC »

Many moons ago, I'm guessing 2006/7 I wrote quite a long piece about the Futurity for Mechanical Memories Magazine, specifically how it worked.
If I get a chance over the next week or so, I'll have a chat with Mr P and perhaps we could post the article in the Arena, with some additional pictures - now that BP has actually got a machine :evil:
Keep a look-out in the coming days or weeks - I'm sure most of the regulars on this site won't know too much about the machine, but trust me - it is very very clever.
brigham

Post by brigham »

badpenny wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:20 pm
It's happened 3 times against exactly lots of times when 2 cherries popped up on either 5 or 10.
What happens is you put in the coin, pull the handle and then magic happens.

BP :!?!:
Looking at the reel order, I'm guessing that this is a 2x10-stop mech., which changes over at games 5 and 10?
You would do all right if it forgot to change back!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes, you're right brigham. It's the same cheat that The Horse's Head utilises on alternative games to leave the B O N U S letters vulnerable. The Hi-top BONUS had no switch over cam so it was a true 1x20 stop. I've heard this last ditch attempt to legitimise its reputation was too late, even with World War Twice in between it. Clearly memories were long.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

JC wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:32 am Many moons ago, I'm guessing 2006/7 I wrote quite a long piece about the Futurity for Mechanical Memories Magazine, specifically how it worked.
If I get a chance over the next week or so, I'll have a chat with Mr P and perhaps we could post the article in the Arena, with some additional pictures - now that BP has actually got a machine :evil:
Keep a look-out in the coming days or weeks - I'm sure most of the regulars on this site won't know too much about the machine, but trust me - it is very very clever.
Now in the Arena.
Also in the Forum: Mills Futurity - A cheating Mills Bandit?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

I believe the phrase is, 'every cloud has a silver lining'!
henry10

Post by henry10 »

Looks like a great piece of machinery, hope you value it with your whole heart !THUMBS!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I do henry10, right from the heart of my bottom!